Saturday, December 10, 2011

Whose Dreams Really?

Awhile ago (yesterday afternoon,) this TV advertisement of M. Lhuillier flashed on the screen. I am a fan of it since I really much appreciate the effect used in the whole commercial. I called my mom's attention, "ma, tignan mo. Ang galing noh? Sinong nagsabing walang ihahataw ang mga multimedia artists sa Pinas? Ibang klase na tayo."

She replied with, "Pero mas magaling pa din ang ibang bansa. Kaya ikaw, galingan mo. Itanong mo kung ilan ang Pinoy na Graphic Artists sa Guang Zhou ngayon."

The dismayed and uninterested me said, "I don't care..."

Shocked as she was from what she heard, her voice raised questioning my reaction. She asked if I even plan to stay and work here in the Philippines and if I do, that's stupid. She, unfortunately, has a poor faith on her "pinagmulan." She continued nagging and said that if this is my dream, I should see myself, as young as possible, flying off the country to earn bigger.

Hearing such, courage took over and made me say...

"It's not even my dream, it's yours."

Three-second-silence...
and we're back to her scolding.

I, too, have to admit of not expecting those heavy words coming from me, especially giving it to the most important woman in my life. I know that even if I say it and no matter how many times, I will never get her acceptance about me staying, exploring my mma skills here year/s after graduating. "Here" means nowhere else but in Philippines. Settling and working abroad is a thought that may come while I'm already working. I am not closing my doors, just not as soon as my Mom wants. I want to take my chances here.

"It's not even my dream, it's yours."


It hurt her. I knew it will even before I say it. Yet, I want her to know that in that point of my life, I am not being immature.  I have my own life and career to live and build and whatever decision I make, please, let me, at least make it. If I fail, then I'll be humble enough in reconsidering what they want me to do. I love her more than my life and she just wants the best things for me but I am hoping that she'll let me dream my own dreams. I mean, she does, but not really when it comes to my future plans. I know, eventually, she will :)



But the greatest question I must consider first is, "gaano ako kasiguradong magkakatrabaho ako?"

No comments: